AP Biology Biology: Course Outline Updated 2015Unit One:
The process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life.
- Change in the genetic makeup of a population over time is evolution.
- Organisms are linked by lines of descent from common ancestry.
- Life continues to evolve within a changing environment.
- The origin of living systems is explained by natural processes.
Unit Two: Biological systems utilize energy and molecular building blocks to grow, reproduce, and maintain homeostasis.
- Growth, reproduction, and maintenance of the organization of living systems require free energy and matter.
- Growth, reproduction, and dynamic homeostasis require that cells create and maintain internal environments that are different from their external environments.
- Organisms use feedback mechanisms to regulate growth and reproduction, and to maintain dynamic homeostasis.
- Growth and dynamic homeostasis of a biological system are influenced by changes in the system’s environment.
- Many biological processes involved in growth, reproduction, and dynamic homeostasis include temporal regulation and coordination.
Unit Three: Living systems retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes.
- Heritable information provides for continuity of life.
- Expression of genetic information involves cellular and molecular mechanisms.
- The processing of genetic information is imperfect and is a source of genetic variation.
- Cells communicate by generating, transmitting, and receiving chemical signals.
- Transmission of information results in changes within and between biological systems.
Unit Four: Biological systems interactand these interactions possess complex properties.
- Interactions within biological systems lead to complex properties.
- Competition and cooperation are important aspects of biological systems.
- Naturally occurring diversity among and between components within biological systems affects interactions with the environment.
If you are looking for a AP Biology tutor you’re in the right place!